Press Red Blog Guidelines
We are looking to grow our blog team and would love to give you the opportunity to share your voice with our network. To be considered please review the following guidelines:
What We Are Seeking:
Press Red is committed to amplifying voices from across the United Kingdom and will consider all posts that relate to our areas of work, including:
- Ending violence against women
- Perceptions around sexual assault, victim-blaming, sexual and street harassment, domestic abuse
- The role of religion/faith in abuse: both causative and reconciliatory
- Helping women move out of poverty
- Empowering girls
- Impact of sexualization and objectification in media and advertising
- Encouraging girls to get involved in STEM careers, mentoring, building girls’ confidence
- The importance of positive role-models, efforts to amplify women’s voices
We encourage guest authors to include links to relevant news articles, information, and statistics on the topic they are writing about. All images submitted must be on topic and include proper attribution. Posts must be issue-based and not promotional in nature.
1. Make the post useful to the readers – offer tips, advice or insight into a complicated area of work.
2. Share a story from your life – either a personal experience or an experience that impacted you.
3. Offer a fresh angle – a point of view you don’t often read online or hear in conversation.
4. Keep it informal – write like you talk. Pretend you are talking to your sister/mother/friend.
5. Keep it simple – use short paragraphs, headings or bullet points to make the post easier to read.
6. Think about your headline – this can be the difference between a blog post being read or ignored.
7. Give readers something to do – it could be to read something else, comment, apply a lesson, share the post, etc.
8. Offer practical information – help readers understand a complicated issue or address similar challenges. This doesn’t need to be a bullet point list of tips, just information or advice that readers can apply to their own understanding.
9. Provide original, personal, and honest work – This means your post has never before been published anywhere, including your own blog. You are free to post on your own blog after publication on and with a link to the Press Red Blog.
10. Make your post different than others already on the site– many posts cover similar ideas, and that’s okay! Share your own story and experiences to help differentiate your post from others.
Word Count: Blog posts must be a maximum of 850 words and a minimum of 250 words (500 words is ideal).
Images: You are encouraged to submit your own high-resolution image or an image with proper attribution, but if an image is not submitted, Press Red will use a stock image or illustration.
Bio: Please submit a 1-3 line biography that provides context as to who you are, as well as a photo of yourself or a link to your website or portfolio. If you are not comfortable submitting a photo, please let us know and we will select an avatar to accompany your post.
Format: Blog posts must be submitted in Microsoft Word format to email@example.com for approval, editing and scheduling.
Review and Approval Process:
Press Red reserves the right to review for appropriate content and edit for spelling, grammar and clarity. We may make grammatical changes, minor edits, title changes and other suggestions. If a post needs improvement, we will return it to you with suggestions for your review.
Press Red is a Christian organisation and though blog pieces do not necessarily need to come from people who share our beliefs, they must be respectful of our faith. Publishing of a blog post will be done at the discretion of Press Red and we reserve the right to decline any post that is not relevant to our work, contains materials contradictory to the beliefs of the organisation, is promotional in nature, or that otherwise contravenes the guidelines above.
After a post is approved, it will be added to the posting schedule and authors will be notified when the post is published. Please note that it may take a few weeks for posts to appear live on the site.
Posts accepted for publication may be shared through other Press Red distribution channels, such as social media or the e-newsletter.
No payment will be involved for guest content.